Generation Z: The Hushed Generation is a short documentary film created in The Representation Project’s 2020 Youth Media Academy. In this short film, filmmakers Melanie M. and Felix M. explore the experience of depression as narrated by Ate, a young person navigating how to open up to those around him about his needs.
Film Festival Acceptances: Newark IFF Youth Festival
CALLS TO ACTION
Questions for discussion following the viewing:
- In what ways could you relate to or connect with Ate’s experience?
- How often do you hear yourself, or people you know, casually using words and phrases like: “bipolar,” “crazy,” “OCD” without understanding the impact these words can have on someone who might struggle with mental illness?
- Do you know the difference between sadness and depression?
- Do you find yourself judging people who are different from you without understanding their backstory?
- Who makes up the support system that you can rely upon in times of crisis? In what ways do you support individuals who struggle with mental health issues?
Feeling Inspired? Please consider selecting at least one of the following to bring about positive change in our society.
Calls to Action for Generation Z: A Hushed Generation
* Call upon local, state, and national leaders to bring mental health discussions into the forefront of education.
* Advocate for increased access to mental health on school campuses and in communities with limited resources.
* Educate people on the difference between sadness and depression, as well as the impact of minimizing the effects of mental illness.
* Create a support system for yourself that you can turn to when you need emotional support or guidance. Please be sure to include at least one trusted adult. Let the individuals know that you have identified them as part of your support system so they can be better prepared to assist you when you reach out to them.
* Debunk myths that people have about mental illness and the experiences that trigger it.
#GenZ #MentalHealth #EliminatetheStigma #StartTheConversation #DebunkMyths #YouthContentCreator #YMA2020