Brainwashed is a short documentary film created in The Representation Project’s 2021 Youth Media Academy. Through a combination of the narrator’s experience and media clips, this film examines the representation of Middle Eastern people in Hollywood and media and how it affects a greater audience.
CALLS TO ACTION
Questions for discussion following the viewing:
- What are some recurring stereotypes you have seen portrayed on television and in film?
- What are some stereotypes you have noticed in children’s programs? What were some of the stereotypes, and what impact, if any, did they have on you?
- What are some stereotypes you have had to deal with yourself? How did you help debunk the stereotypes that people may have held about you?
- Have you ever viewed yourself differently because of how someone who looked like you or identified similarly to you was depicted on screen?
- What might be some of your own implicit (unconscious) biases?
Feeling Inspired? Please consider selecting at least one of the following to bring about positive change in our society.
Calls to Action for Brainwashed
* Look out for harmful stereotypes on screen and hold discussions on how they might impact viewers. Additionally, be mindful of what stereotypes children might be viewing, and make sure to play diverse and inclusive programs for them.
* View programs and media that are made by or positively include/represent minorities and promote them. And don’t be afraid of subtitles!
* Support organizations like MENA Arts Advocacy Coalition that strive to conquer stereotypes and exclusion on screen.
* Take Harvard University’s Implicit Association Test to discover your own subconscious biases.
#Brainwashed #MiddleEastern #Muslim #Represtion #Stereotypes #Inclusion #Visibility #SocialChange #YMA2021 #YouthContentCreator