Shh! It’s a War Zone is a short documentary film created in The Representation Project’s 2021 Youth Media Academy. A young filmmaker interviews her grandmother about escaping a war-torn homeland with her three-month-old sister. Shh! It’s a War Zone journeys through a life in refuge via a grandmother’s memories and a granddaughter’s curious camera.
Film Festival Acceptances: Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival, Dirigo International Student Film Festival
CALLS TO ACTION
Questions for discussion following the viewing:
- How does migration affect people differently if done under coercion or a situation of duress?
- How can migrants face a situation of double disadvantage in the host country?
- Is the refugee crisis a political issue, or should it be looked at through a lens of humanity?
- How can the government, citizens, and refugees work together to make the host society more welcoming to refugees and create an environment of peace for the entire integrated community?
- Should repatriation be made compulsory or subject to the wishes of the refugees?
Feeling Inspired? Please consider selecting at least one of the following to bring about positive change in our society.
Calls to Action for Shh! It’s a War Zone
* Find out your roots: Ask your parents or grandparents if they are natives of your current residing place, or if not, where and why they came from.
* Be empathetic towards anyone who has had to relocate from their homeland.
* Be respectful towards the culture of people from different communities. Do not expect or coerce anyone to absolutely meld into the lifestyle of their “new home” and completely forget their roots.
* Report any untoward behavior or hate comments about migrant/ refugee groups on social media or around you.
* Host a small group discussion to find out more and raise awareness about the migrant communities in your society and their problems. You may create posters later to disseminate the information.
#thewarzone #beyondthesurface #respectforall #withempathy #securityformigrants #seekingasylum #theymatter #wearetogether #besensitive #YouthContentCreator #YMA2021