Growing Up Gen Z is a short documentary film created in The Representation Project’s 2020 Youth Media Academy. Five students across the spectrum of Generation Z consider the influence technology has had on their development thus far and its potential effects on those coming after.
Film Festival Acceptances: Crescent City Film Festival, Miami Independent Film Festival, SonderBlu Film Festival, Creators Film Festival
CALLS TO ACTION
Questions for discussion following the viewing:
- How do you think or how do you hope modern-day media will be transformed after the social movements of 2020?
- What hobbies and skills can you work on instead of filling your time with social media?
- What personal experiences (big or small) do you have with feeling unrepresented? How did it make you feel?
- In what ways can you increase your visibility to reshape media portrayals?
- To what extent do you think social media influences you and the people around you?
Feeling Inspired? Please consider selecting at least one of the following to bring about positive change in our society.
Calls to Action for Growing up Gen-Z
* Actively look out for and support shows, movies, and other forms of media with diverse casts and people of color.
* Support creators of color on social media such as Instagram, TikTok, and Youtube.
* Consider taking social media detoxes whenever you feel overwhelmed with negative messaging.
*Have thoughtful conversations with those around you about the things you are seeing on social media and how it affects you, whether positive or negative.
#Representation #MentalHealth #PositiveMessaging #SocialMediaDetox #Change #YouthContentCreators #YouthContentCommentators #YMA2020