Beyond The Model is a short documentary film created in The Representation Project’s 2020 Youth Media Academy. After the assaults and discrimination of Asians in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, this film shines a light on what it is like to be a “model minority” in an increasingly divided America.
Film Festival Acceptances: Bright Ideas Film Festival (Best Documentary Nominee), SXSW High School Film Competition (Texas High School Shorts Special Jury Recognition for Directing), DisOrient Asian American Film Festival of Oregon, North Dakota Human Rights Arts Festival, Reel Doc Fest film festival, Miami Independent Film Festival, Austin Youth Film Festival, New Jersey Documentary Film Festival, Chicago Southland International Film Festival, Asian American International Film Festival, GTX Film Festival, Newark IFF Youth Festival, All American High School Film Festival (Spark Award Nominee), Social Justice Film Festival, SonderBlu Film Festival, Los Angeles Student Film Festival, Charlotte Film Festival (Social Justice Award), 11th annual Arlington International Film Festival, Mill Valley Film Festival, South Texas International Film Festival, Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival (Best Student Film), Indie Film Fest 2022
Film Festival Nominations & Awards:
- All American High School Film Festival – Spark Award Nominee
- Bright Ideas Film Festival – Best Documentary Nominee
- Charlotte Film Festival – Social Justice Award
- SXSW High School Film Competition – Texas High School Shorts Special Jury Recognition for Directing
- SXSW High School Film Competition – Texas High School Shorts Audience Award
- Home Is Distant Shores Film Festival – Best Student Film
“The power of this documentary comes from the artistry and sensitivity of its director, Jessica Lin. Parts observational and parts reflexive, Beyond the Model’s clear voice stems from a desire to allow its subjects to breathe and share, making for an organic, poignant, and insightful short.”
CALLS TO ACTION
Questions for discussion following the viewing:
- Describe some of your own personal experiences with racism?
- Have you experienced internalized racism, wherein you felt anger, hate, or frustration with your own race?
- How does internal and external racism affect your own race?
- Do you believe racism is based on nature or nurture? Why or why not?
- Do you believe we will ever truly achieve equality? Why or why not?
Feeling Inspired? Please consider selecting at least one of the following to bring about positive change in our society.
Calls to Action for Beyond the Model
* Move from being a bystander to an upstander. Speak in support of those who face racist attacks.
* Report hate content you see on social media platforms. Hold the companies that oversee these platforms accountable for violations of the codes of conduct they each have in place.
* Host a small group discussion to understand the impact racism can have on a person, a community and the nation. Develop a plan to implement what was learned into action.
* Launch a “ripple” campaign where small actions of calling out racism, standing proud in one’s identity, and supporting those who seek similar change have a larger impact, be it in your home, at your school, your community, and beyond.
#BeyondtheModel #Equality #AsianAmerican #Together #HistoryInTheMaking #IMatter #EndRacism #YouthContentCreator #YMA2020