Former NFL player Wade Davis recently said in a TEDx Talk, “masculinity is a performance…and the performance of masculinity never means freedom and self-love.” Wade is joined by male role models across industries who are challenging the limiting notion that to “Be a Man” means not having compassion for yourself and others. Because as The Mask You Live In illustrates, suppressing empathy and emotion can be harmful to our boys and young men, as well as society at large.
That’s why in support of Mental Health Awareness month, we’re offering healthcare professionals 15% off The Mask You Live In screenings or workshops using the code “MASKMHA15”. Use the code yourself or share it with someone you know. Together, we can support our boys and young men in being their whole selves.
Jennifer Siebel Newsom & The Representation Project Team
From Around The Web
“With Wonder Woman re-imagined for a new generation and coming to film next summer, [Jennifer Siebel Newsom] opened the conversation by sharing some recent stats on female representation in the media from USC’s Annenberg School. For all the gains women have achieved since Lynda Carter made Wonder Woman an icon in the late 70s, strong female lead roles and parity is still a long way off whether women are in front of or behind the cameras.” – Cari E. Guittard, via The Huffington Post
- The Atlantic: Why White People Don’t Use White Emoji
- ATTN: This Hashtag Confronts the Side of Abuse We Don’t Talk About Enough
- C Magazine: The Representation Project Luncheon 2016
- The Daily Mail UK: Calvin Klein Underwear Ad Causes Stir
- Elite Daily: 5 Ways Promoting Masculine Stereotypes Harms Both Men and Women
- Mic News: This Man’s Facebook Post Perfectly Nails What’s Wrong with Women’s Clothing
- RoleReboot: Does Your Daughter Know It’s OK to Be Angry?
- USA Today: John Legend on Chrissy Teigen’s Parenting Critics: “Funny There’s No Dad-Shaming”
Attorney General of the United State, Loretta Lynch, via The Representation Project Instagram