This past weekend and next is Coachella, an annual music and arts festival featuring some of the biggest names in the music industry. Guns N’ Roses, Calvin Harris, and LCD Soundsystem will be performing, and yet not one of those headliners (some of whom are pictured above) are a female-led act. In fact, since the festival’s inception in 1999 there has only been one female headliner. And that was 10 years ago!
At a time when female artists are topping the charts, it’s puzzling that the festival is systematically underrepresenting women in the industry – especially when women are the majority of festival goers.
That’s why this week, we’re asking you to tweet at GoldenVoice, the festival’s promoter, and tell them you’re not buying their exclusion of women! Together, we can challenge sexism in the music industry and in our larger culture.
Jennifer Siebel Newsom & The Representation Project team
Join Us For A Mother’s Day Luncheon With Honorary Guest Connie Nielsen
We are hosting a Mother’s Day luncheon in Marin on Wednesday, May 11th with honorary guest and renowned film star Connie Nielsen. Join us in bringing together our extraordinary network of Bay Area supporters – learn more and buy your ticket here.
May Screenings of The Mask You Live In and Miss Representation
- 5/11 The Mask You Live In screening in Portland, Oregon: Hosted by Students Active for Ending Rape at Cleveland High School
- 5/12 The Mask You Live In screening in New London, Connecticut: Hosted by the Child & Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut at the The Garde Arts Center
- 5/15 The Mask You Live In screening in Clinton, Connecticut: Hosted by the Clinton Youth & Family Services at The Morgan School
- 5/16 The Mask You Live In screening in Bellingham, Washington: Hosted by Gerry Ebalaroza-Tunnell, MA, Joy Wiggins, Ph.D., and Janis Farmer, M.Ed. at Pickford Film Center
- 5/19 The Mask You Live In screening in Windsor, Ontario, Canada: Hosted by Domestic Violence Coordinating Committee Windsor-Essex at St. Clair College Centre for the Arts
- 5/25 Miss Representation screening in Cupertino, California: Hosted by Keller Williams Real Estate at Cupertino Cinemas
- 5/25 The Mask You Live In screening in Felton, California: Hosted by SLVHS Cougar Parents Club at San Lorenzo Valley High School
Around the Web
- Colorlines: Oh, the Whitewashing: Why #GhostInTheShell is Trending, in 7 Tweets
- The Guardian: Insults and Rape Threats. Writers Shouldn’t Have to Deal with This
- The Mary Sue: ‘I Don’t Like Bullies’: Captain America and a New Masculinity
- Mother Jones: I’m a Transgender Man in North Carolina. Here’s What the Bathroom Law Means for Me.
- The Root: This Father’s Day, Let’s Shatter the Myth About the Absent Black Father
- Vox: Hillary Clinton Slams Moderators For Failing To Ask A Single Abortion Question
Viral Tweet Depicting a Google Search of Professional Versus Unprofessional Hairstyles